Author Topic: Make life simpler with hotkeys (for Windows).  (Read 938 times)

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Make life simpler with hotkeys (for Windows).
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
Windows Hotkeys can make loads of things easier.

What are 'hotkeys'?
These are keyboard combinations/shortcuts that make using software easier. For example, tapping CTRL + V will paste stuff.  If you particularly love mouse clicking or you're dumb as a door knob, then this is not for you.

Is there really a need for hotkeys?
Well it depends on who you are. If you're a secretary in the NHS, you couldn't care less. You could take all day messing around with mouse clicks, wasting time clicking on emails and still get paid wonderfully. But if you're like me who needs every second or more in the day, hotkeys save a few seconds and avoids me becoming distracted with a mouse. BTW, most of the hotkeys shown below are not known by most secretaries in health services! I would know. How cuz invariably when I see them doing stuff and I say 'try pressing this and that', they go, "Oh cleverrrr..I really didn't know...you're such a wizard.." Well, yes they could all me humouring me - but I don't think so.

Any problems?
1. Yes - remembering hotkey combinations. Some are sequential i.e. you press one key, keep that pressed then press another - you may be surprised how many people find that confusing. At this point you may wish to take up the Captain's £1000 challenge:tongue:
2. Changing habits. This is the bigger problem as learned habits over many years of inefficient computer use are harder to unlearn.
The above are human factors, obviously.

A few sample hotkey shortcuts:
1. CTRL + C - pretty obvious as C is for 'Copy'.
2. CTRL + X - I think of an open scissors that looks like an X.
3. CTRL + V - is for paste. But there's nothing in 'V' that reminds one of 'paste', so I think VOMIT looks like paste - that's how I remember it. Gross!! LOL  :shocked:
4. CTRL + P - is for print(ing). This could be confused with 'P' for paste but having gotten the 'vomit' thing etched in the brain, then 'p' is definitely for print.
5. CTRL + Z - for undoing what you did.
6. CTRL + Y - put back what you undid.
7. [CTRL + shift] + arrow left (or right, or up, or down) at the cursor in a bunch of text does some interesting stuff. Then you can use your CTRL + C. Note that keys between square brackets, means you hold these down together then hit the next in the sequence.

A fuller list of hotkey combinations click here.

But note that there is a difference between 'knowing' and 'doing' i.e. 'knowing' is about what's in the head; 'doing' is about habits/performance.

[Next up: I'll be doing something on MS Word Template files - which is not what most people think they are. I'm doing this largely for my own benefit, cuz I learn by explaining things and of course I can find a record of my learning later on.]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:28:46 AM by Captain Walker »
Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline Little Miss Chatterbox

• Power Member
  • About me: Starting W202 with the OU, October 2017.
Re: Make life simpler with hotkeys (for Windows).
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
Great, I use these too, and not forgetting in Excel, CTRL & D copies the cell directly above the cell you want to fill

Offline David W

• Power Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
Let's not forget the Windows key shortcuts!

My favourites:
Win + D - show the desktop
Win + L - lock the PC
Win + Arrow keys - snap window left / right or maximise / minimise

More here
I dont always remember case names in EU law. But when I do it's Internationalle Handelgesellschaft mbH v Einfuhr und Vorratsstelle fur getride und Futtermittel

Offline I AM GR00T

• Power Member
  • About me: OU student, massive fan of boxing, trekking in the mountains and everything outdoors, friendly happy vegan, just dont mistake my empathy for weakness I'm just as likely to punch you in the face lol
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
I use none of these if Im honest  :grin: I know, clearly I am a heathan!

Jenn
Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive anyway!

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »
@Jenn
I use none of these if Im honest  :grin: I know, clearly I am a heathan!

Offline I AM GR00T

• Power Member
  • About me: OU student, massive fan of boxing, trekking in the mountains and everything outdoors, friendly happy vegan, just dont mistake my empathy for weakness I'm just as likely to punch you in the face lol
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »

Offline I AM GR00T

• Power Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:09 PM »
how do you get your pictures to be so big by the way captain?? took me ages just to get me little midget one attached?

Jenn

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »
how do you get your pictures to be so big by the way captain?? took me ages just to get me little midget one attached?

It's top secret!! LOL. Ok- top secret revealed! But it's not for luddites - okayyyy?  :laugh:
1. Do not attach images at all. Just create and hyperlink them.
2. I use mostly Imgur to create these images.
3. The application I use is MyImgur 3.92 for Windows (I'm not sure what's best for iOS, or Linux). But there are similar alternative apps out there.
4. I set this up with a Yahoo account but I understand that it is possible to use any email account (not sure).

Outline of usage of MyImgur 3.92
1. After set up above and linking the app to Yahoo,
2. Right click and copy any image out there (subject to any copyright restriction of course).
3. Then in the app, hit paste.

Go by the numbers below (click image for a bigger view)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:50:51 PM by Captain Walker »

Offline I AM GR00T

• Power Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
 :bowing: :bowing:

....i think Im a luddite  :fp: :fp: .........