Author Topic: justice?  (Read 700 times)

Offline Mohan

• Administrator
  • Power Member
    • Law Student
justice?
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:01:32 PM »
Mohan
Before engaging in a comments fight, make sure your English is better than your opponents'. :D

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Re: justice?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
Sad situation there. The trouble with justice - even when you get it, is that it does not bring back the dead/murdered.  >:(
Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline Little Miss Chatterbox

• Power Member
  • About me: Starting W202 with the OU, October 2017.
Re: justice?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
Sad situation there. The trouble with justice - even when you get it, is that it does not bring back the dead/murdered.  >:(

Very true. The car accident that I was involved in, the defendant was given 5 years in total for causing death through dangerous driving, serious injury through dangerous driving, perverting the course of justice, driving without any insurance (the latter was a technicality, but they threw the book at her), banned from driving for 10 years. She had a prior conviction only 18 months thereabout for careless driving prior to the accident I was involved in. She will no longer be able to practice as a nurse, effectively her career is over.

She has a son that she will not see to grow up (the early years), which I think are important for a parent, seeing your child grow up. They could not give her a harder sentence as the judge had to take into her account the well being of her son, which I thought was not giving the right impression. To me, the judge gave me an impression that if you are a parent, you get a lighter sentence then if you were not a parent. However, in light of all the personal circumstances, I could say why he gave 5 years. He made reference to some case that a judge was overruled in previously for giving an harsher penalty, because the defendant had a child, so this proved to me 'judicial precedent' was used.

The relatives of the dead man will see this maybe as a fairly light sentence, for me, that walked away with minor injuries, justice was done.