Author Topic: Modern Slavery  (Read 200 times)

Offline Mohan

• Administrator
  • Power Member
    • Law Student
Modern Slavery
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
The unifying/consolidation unit of criminal law looks at 'other crimes' but this year the emphasis is on modern slavery. Looking at the videos is hard for me due to my depression. It is a lot to swallow, seeing some of the conditions modern slaves live in, and to understand the shocking statistics.

Less than 1.1% of trafficked persons are 'rescued'. Slavery is a $US 32 billion industry annually. 65% of persons are trafficked within their own country. Trafficking is higher in Europe than elsewhere in the world (closer borders?). 69% of trafficked persons are young girls exploited in the sex trade. 71% of trafficked men work in forced labour.

They are threatened, beaten, legal papers were taken away, family members killed in some cases to keep them in line, in other cases members of the community and churches/religious houses are forced to give these people up to the traffickers.

The cost of a slave is less than $100 and the sex slaves are forced to 'service' up to 20 customers per day without breaks. No days off of course.

Resources to combat this are denied to law enforcement and political games are the norm.
Mohan
Before engaging in a comments fight, make sure your English is better than your opponents'. :D

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Re: Modern Slavery
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »
Interesting stuff!
Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline I AM GR00T

• Power Member
  • About me: OU student, massive fan of boxing, trekking in the mountains and everything outdoors, friendly happy vegan, just dont mistake my empathy for weakness I'm just as likely to punch you in the face lol
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »
What saddens me is a lot of this seems to be going on right under our noses, the nail bar businesses, the car washes etc, what the 'average joe' wouldnt give a second thought all the while these people are living in fear, poverty and squalor and right on our doorstep.
A friend of mine was involved with a case last year with workers in a car wash and the conditions these people were subjected to was horrendous!
Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive anyway!

Offline yes

• Power Member
  • About me: OU law student
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:30:36 PM »
Mohan, depressions's a bummer.

But what you did here, this blog ...has been a great thing.

Thanks from me.

Much appreciated.
geoff  :smiley: