Author Topic: Asia Bibi  (Read 42 times)

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Asia Bibi
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:48:34 AM »
Immigration law is one of the most fascinating.

Asia Bibi was recently turned down the Home Office on application for asylum, on the grounds that she was likely to cause civil unrest by her presence in the UK. People who do not know of the case might have thought that Bibi was a terrorist. But then again, terrorists have a better chance of entry to this country.

Bibi - a Christian - was sentenced to death for blasphemy (in Pakistan). The Pakistan Supreme Court overturned the conviction of a death sentence reduced initially to a prison sentence.

An MP was murdered for fighting for Bibi's rights. Death threats were then hurled at the Prime Minister. A judge was murdered. Then a fatwah was declared on judges in the Supreme Court who overturned Bibi's sentence.

There's an easy way to avoid these details: categorise it as fanaticism. For me I'm interested in cultures and the rule of law. It would appear that there are certain groups of people who do not submit to the law, on the grounds that they follow a higher law - alias God's law.

No links to this case provided. Those interest can Google it.

What did Bibi do wrong originally? Have an argument, drink from the wrong water, and be a Christian. Go read about it (or not).
Our democracy has been fracked.