Author Topic: Ashley Madison - Millions paid to victims.  (Read 440 times)

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Ashley Madison - Millions paid to victims.
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
Loads of legal and moral issues arise from the Ashley Madison situation/case. Now we learn that those who signed up to it are 'victims' to be paid $USD 11 Million.

Some say they deserved their suffering - mostly men! Others from a legal perspective, know that they were due compensation. I'm still refreshing my mind about the case details. If others have preliminary views - even if from the heart, do tell. ;)

Is there tension between law and morality?

Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline Simon Stylites

Re: Ashley Madison - Millions paid to victims.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
Interesting. I'd  forgotten about this seamy scandal.
11.2 ÷ 37 is about 0.3 USD each, before lawyers' fees (though the article states that claimants may receive up to 3500 each). Presumably not all users will qualify.
Whichever, the individual pay out looks nugatory - more of a slap on the wrist for breach of data protection.
I'm happy with that. Anything more substantial - e.g. mega damages for reputational loss or marital breakdown - and I'd invoke the volenti non fit injuria principle.
'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better'
Beckett: Worstword Ho

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Re: Ashley Madison - Millions paid to victims.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:56:28 PM »
Interesting. I'd  forgotten about this seamy scandal.
11.2 ÷ 37 is about 0.3 USD each, before lawyers' fees (though the article states that claimants may receive up to 3500 each). Presumably not all users will qualify.
Whichever, the individual pay out looks nugatory - more of a slap on the wrist for breach of data protection.
I'm happy with that. Anything more substantial - e.g. mega damages for reputational loss or marital breakdown - and I'd invoke the volenti non fit injuria principle.

Well spotted. It'll be interesting to see how many 'queue up' for between $USD 0.3 to 3500. Lawyers are the big winners methinks, as usual. See - lawyering can pay, innit?  8)
Our democracy has been fracked.