Author Topic: Why my monster phone?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Why my monster phone?
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:17 PM »
The Cap'n got the Asus Zenfone 3 Ultra (AZ3U) last December (2016) for around £550 - after some careful research on Google/YouTube etc. It's a beast some say, coming in a 6.8 inches in screen size. All other high powered phones at the time were around £680-ish.

You should have seen/heard the various responses to this phone. The usual, 'My hands are too small', or 'That's like talking to a tablet, stuck to your head!!.' What a laugh, for me anyway.

I had to laugh because over the last 5 years or so, hand size of women in the UK has increased. How do I know? Well, 5 years ago loads of women I met said that 5 inch phones were too big. And today, a whole lot of women are walking around with >5 inch size phones in hand, using them comfortably. So there - that's my evidence!  ;D Oh and amazingly, I had also concluded that Japanese-looking women always had bigger hand size than women in the UK.

Debate broke out on GSMarena forums when I said that this phone has been misjudged by a load of people who were simply looking at phone specifications, and ignoring functionality. The basic argument of those obsessed with specifications, is analogous to saying somebody with a high IQ ('brain power') is bound to do a better job. Well no, it don't work like that.

I purchased this phone after very careful study of YouTube and other reviews. I balanced several pros and cons - over weeks - then made the purchase. I was one of those who were stung by Samsung's explosive Note 7.

Well to be 100% honest, I am very satisfied with the Asus Zenfone 3 Ultra. This is not a review, so all I'll say is that I'm very happy with sound quality for voice and media. When it comes to photos and video  quality, it beat the Note 7 which I had used for about a month. I did initially miss the S-pen which Note 7 had, but Asus has such nifty apps that I could use my finger just like a stylus for the same stuff like on Note 7. I never missed any 'grunt' that the Note 7 had in all it's high powered processor. The brilliant thing for me about the AZ3U, is that it's dual sim. Which means that when I'm abroad, not a problem to stick another 'world sim' in there. Phone specifications: http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_3_ultra_zu680kl-8130.php

Getting a phone that's right for you, is like finding a new partner or buy a car (or similar thing). There are a whole range of personal preferences. Would you just go off an marry some chap or bird, cuz 10,000 people said they were nice? Not me - but I can imagine some folk would. That's what's going on with phones, and computers etc. People are buying because friend, family, trusted others give recommendations. Then there is the brand name effect, which really isn't that important. I'm not saying that one should pickup any old generic junk from a market stall. Brand names give a sense of confidence but it is well known that branding can bump up price by up to 30-50% over average competitor pricing. [BTW - I just got some cheap aftershave in Aldi for £3, and everybody is commenting/asking if it's some big brand name. So I've been calling all sorts of brand names to keep um happy! LOL]

These days, the AZ3U don't feel big in my hands anymore. It's amazing how one gets used to size. When you first get it, it's like OMG. But later on it's fine. I just like the big screen so much for Kindle, PDFs, web-browsing, photos and streaming video content. It's a 'massive' difference.

For sure I'm not recommending the AZ3U to anyone. I don't advise people what's the best phone or brands etc. All I'm doing is giving some rambling thoughts on how I came to purchase and how it worked out for me. I'm not selling phones and have no such related business activities. I'm not implying that anyone out here needs a new phone.

Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline Ryan

• Trade unionist
  • Starting W203 Oct 2017 (OU - Bachelor of Laws)
  • About me: LLB student, cares for disabled partner, trade unionist, holds an interest in labour law.
Re: Why my monster phone?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
Looks like a very nice phone indeed.

I've always preferred a functional brick. People used to take the micky out of my Nokia 9500 Communicator, back when the fashion was for phones the size of custard creams.
I expect everyone to apologise underneath this post, by the end of the following four days.

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
A functional 'brick' is defo better than a 'pure brick' which just does nothing.

From my association with Mohan, I've discovered how much he uses his phone for his OU studies. Tablets - usually greater in size than 7.7 inches - become important too. But I'll stay clear of that in this thread. We can open a separate thread on tablets. The AZ3U was partly my avoidance of a tablet. I've never used a tablet - not that I don't like them. So my thinking was to get something that was close to tablet size but would work as a phone - and that's worked out fine.

If people are going to use their phones to help with OU studies, a few important factors below (not exhaustive) may be important:

1. Good screen size and resolution - but that's about personal preference. You can zoom in on text-based stuff, but it's better to have a screen size where you don't have to zoom to much.
2. Good enough storage capacity. I've got 64GB on the AZ3U internal drive but store most things on the add-on 64GB microSD card.
3. Good processor - but some phones with good processors don't actually give more - so caution.
4. Good battery capacity - but battery limitations, can be overcome by walking with a powerbank.
Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline Little Miss Chatterbox

• Power Member
  • About me: Starting W202 with the OU, October 2017.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:15:17 PM »
I have an iPhone 7plus, and that is big compared to my old iPhone 4, I didn't want to get rid of my iPhone 4 but when the button was getting jammed, it had to go, 6.5 years I had it, I hope that my new iPhone has a long and happy life in my hands.

Offline I AM GR00T

• Power Member
  • About me: OU student, massive fan of boxing, trekking in the mountains and everything outdoors, friendly happy vegan, just dont mistake my empathy for weakness I'm just as likely to punch you in the face lol
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
i have a sony erricsson, had varying models over the years, and HATE changing my phone, the hassle getting it set up, finding where everything is, dont like it, gives me stress and usually results in me throwing it at the hubby with the demand of 'fix it'.  he usually keeps it away from me until he can set it up how i will recognise... i said before i have issues  :D :D phones being one of them!  :-[
Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive anyway!