Author Topic: Credit Card fees to be banned  (Read 557 times)

Offline Mohan

• Administrator
  • Power Member
    • Law Student
Credit Card fees to be banned
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
Mohan
Before engaging in a comments fight, make sure your English is better than your opponents'. :D

Offline Captain Walker

• Warrior for Rights!
  • Administrator
  • Divergent Member
    • The Captain's Watch
  • About me: LLB(Hons) 2.1 in 2006 from OU. Hobbies: addiction to Neflix and Amazon. Music: From epic stuff to head banging rock. Food Favs: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, good steaks, Subway, KFC, Sushi. Fav Hols: Beach resorts. Fav Cars: Nissan GTR anything, Bentleys.
Re: Credit Card fees to be banned
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
I think it's good news. I think if you're operating as a business, then your operational costs should not be itemised for the customer.

Do they tell us the cost of mopping the floors and add charges to our bills for that, say when we go for meal at a restaurant? I haven't seen that. Do they add an 'electricity surcharge'. Never seen it.

In fact so-called 'optional service charges' at restaurants are a hoax. The crazy thing is that because it's fashionable and people don't wish to appear to be cheapskates they pay between 5-15% extra. It's not a tip! It goes in their coffers.

So - the govt has rammed it to them on the credit card charge thing, which was always to my mind wrong in principle. As a business you absorb your costs and factor that into your balance sheet. The most ridiculous situation was round 2009, when I got Ryanair flights for £1 return - and the (expletives withheld) credit card charge was £8!!

But as I've said in other forums outside this one, change sometimes requires force. It's not the best way. But sometimes it's necessary.

I'll save my expletives for Friday - which is Rant Day (separate forum for Rants with expletives coming up).
Our democracy has been fracked.

Offline Little Miss Chatterbox

• Power Member
  • About me: Starting W202 with the OU, October 2017.
Re: Credit Card fees to be banned
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Anything that reduces the end cost to the consumer can only be a good thing  8)